Chapter 6 - Key Ideas
You know the drill...
Add AT LEAST ONE comment to this post about the KEY IDEAS you found in Chapter 6 of "Visual Design for the Modern Web."
The earlier, the easier it will be to find unique ideas... No Repeats!
Web Site Development
11 Comments:
The section "Use height and width attributes appropriately" is very important. Sometimes people think that specifying a smaller width and height for an image will help loading time, but it doesn't help at all--the bigger version still has to be downloaded and THEN resized again. Getting familiar with an imaging program and resizing an image there will help loading time more and also help keep better quality, since programs like Photoshop have different resizing options.
To add to what Maureen just posted... if you are in an imaging program just as Photoshop not only does the size matter but also the resolution. Yes the web uses a resolution of 72px, but some times if you don't pay attention it can really bog down the loading time. Pay attention to the resolution of a graphic.
The section "Effects, Filters Textures, and Patterns" showed numerous different ways to make a button or text pop out or not be as basic. I liked that there was a diagram of numerous filters the book found for those, as well as filters for photos to add texture and depth. Unfortunately though, while the book showed some good examples of what the filters looked like, you still need to test them out in your image-editing software to see if they'll really work with what you have.
I enjoyed the Image Formats section. I liked how the author gave in-depth descriptions of the different image types and their strengths and weaknesses on the web. For example, all photographs have to be JPEG for a nice, clean image and that GIF images are usually used for diagrams, line art, etc. I didn't really know the specific differences until reading over this section.
The section on Dingbat Typefaces was very interesting. Always before, I wondered how a dingbat typeface could be useful. One way is that if you use shapes from a dingbat typeface, they will be less pixelated than a shape drawn by an image editing program.Bullet points are also another good use for a dingbat typeface. It should not be relied upon though because of compatability issues between different computers.
I enjoyed the section on logo design. I liked how the text listed some guidelines in regard to how to come up with a logo and brand your product/company. I thought it was interesting how the text described a logo, as it is more art than anything else.
Something to keep in mind is background images. You want to make sure that your background image doesn't take away from your content. You don't want it to distract your viewer and overpower the rest of the site. You want it to blend in effortlessly. A background image can really add a lot to a site, but if used incorrectly it can really take away from it as well.
I enjoyed the section on Interlacing. Pixelated versions of pictures are tougher on the eye. However, seeing what the picture is of is much better than watching the picture download slowly line by line. I also find it interesting that interlacing ca increase download time but it is also often perceived as being shorter.
I really liked the section on graphic compression. It was very interesting info about web-friendly file formats. Avoiding lossy effects is the best way negative outcome. And it is always a good idea to save the original copy in a safe location.
There was a small section discussing web cliches. I found it interesting that things on the internet have already found there way into being cliche, yet the internet is pretty young. It seemed in the late 90's internet, you could find images of webs, globes, the AOL A, symbols of communication, and envelopes. Now we have moved past the basic reason to use an image as a description, and now, as something to add to the appeal of your site.
i think making a checklist is a bulletproof way to make sure there are no errors with your website before posting it to the web.
Post a Comment
<< Home